Laconics Round Table

Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:19 am

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/largest-stone-block-from-antiquity-found-141201.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:45 pm

The old theory was they drilled deep holes with something, then inserted wooden sticks, which were then wet, expanded and cracked the rocks in perfect angles.  How are they saying these were made?

Bob Saget
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 pm

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx3hbi_america-unearthed-stonehenge-in-america_shortfilms

History is bunk!

The thing about this film is they dont make the connection back to the Egyptians and the pyramids that go back even further. Someone had to be linked from the old world and brought it to the new one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vidarr
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

looks more like poured concrete.

anyways

also

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:39 am

Vidarr wrote:

And the purpose of them being cut so big would be?

Bob Saget
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:29 am

wag wrote:
The old theory was they drilled deep holes with something, then inserted wooden sticks, which were then wet, expanded and cracked the rocks in perfect angles.  How are they saying these were made?

I lived in Heliopolis Egypt for a couple of months and the one or actually two notable things of Heliopolis was despite being not far from the Great pyramids it was where one of the most well known obelisks still stand and the other thing most people would never know unless they stayed there for some time is that there is an area near the airport in Heliopolis that was completely cleared out and where a similar stonehenge was. When it was removed I have no idea. It may or may not be on the internet. I remember when a native showed me the place and I knew it was ancient but I had no idea how interested in it I would later be.

This Baalbek looks like an early link of the Romans to the Phoenicians who originally allied together, no doubt in my mind the same people.

Any place named Heliopolis, I would assume would have some kind of a sun dial. This one is about 4 feet taller.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vidarr
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:07 pm

wag wrote:

probably a manly thing .. "mine is bigger than yours"

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Vidarr wrote:
wag wrote:

Irregular angles makes for a stronger structure.  How was this done?

Stones cuts from top down out of an outcropping.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 am

wag wrote:

Vidarr wrote:

Quote :

Irregular angles makes for a stronger structure.  How was this done?

I'd guess same method as w/right angles. Surely different angles not a hurdle for skilled builders w/reasonable grasp of geometry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 am

EyeBelieve wrote:

Quote :

I'd guess same method as w/right angles. Surely different angles not a hurdle for skilled builders w/reasonable grasp of geometry.

How are steps cut into stone?  Perfectly cut, not broken.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:50 am

wag wrote:

How are steps cut into stone?  Perfectly cut, not broken.[/quote]

I haven't spent any significant time studying/pondering ancient construction, only posted due to Phoenician angle. Jeez, nowadays Americans can't even make brick houses hardly, usually a veneer at most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:47 pm

I think laser cutters were used.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:01 am

wag wrote:
I think laser cutters were used.

Well who knows but to me seems plausible that stones cut oversized & then smoothed down manually. Using largest stones available would indicate wealth & power ie Vidarr note. Once read Zen book that described Japanese having status symbol of biggest "Zen" stones for Zen Gardens. Wasn't long before entire Japan was scoured for such stones.

Also IIRC in book Medieval Machine the author writes about 'British' aristocracy search for huge timbers that were vanishingly rare due to population pressure. Finding big timber suitable for impressive buildings became very difficult.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laconas
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Here EB.

http://www.mainememory.net/sitebuilder/site/283/page/546/display
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:24 am

laconas wrote:
Here EB.

http://www.mainememory.net/sitebuilder/site/283/page/546/display

Interesting, thanks. MIC stealing resources stays the same as always.  Long time ago read how Soviets were building titanium submarines & thought about how many nice bike frames that would make.  Actually defense contractor Teledyne made some Ti racing frames but design was poor.  One can still buy Ti bike frames but they're costly unless one knows CAD to make blueprints for Chinese manufacturers who offer custom-made Ti frames at astonishingly low prices.

BTW CIA has interesting page on the Soviet titanium subs...US jackasses didn't even believe the Russkies were capable of it & initially thought the idea was commie disinfo, heh.  & ironically, much of SR-71 plane's Ti came from USSR!

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol52no3/unravelling-a-cold-war-mystery.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"   

Back to top Go down

German Archaeologists Discover (Phoenician) "Largest Stone ever Carved by Human Hands"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1