Share | 

Why America is in the Pits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:06 am

Many reasons of course;  but one major cause overlooked:  Disappearance of Kung Fu from popular consciousness.  As Christianity was being erased from America in the 70's, Kung Fu was for a short while a last remnant of moral values.

In 1970's & 80's it was a big phenomenon:  Kumg Fu TV series, Kool & the Gang "Kung Fu Fighting" song, immortal Bruce Lee etc.

Kung Fu TV series taught moral values of patience, meekness, kindness & hard work.  Bruce Lee is a god, his movies were huge successes.  But despite Bruce Lee's awesome skills, the best Kung Fu movies were Chinese imports.  DC had the (ironically named) American Theater which showed all the latest Shaw Brothers' & Golden Harvest Kung Fu films.  Showings were very popular not only among Chinese-speaking community (films always Chinese language w/English subtitles) but  Americans too.  Deaf folks liked them due in part to the subtitles.  

The Shaw Brothers/Golden Harvest movies had simple themes & plots:  Good vs Evil, Underdog vs Bully etc.  Refreshingly free of sexual immorality, cursing etc.  The Chinese movies excelled in the martial arts choreography when American/Jew productions were often pretty lame & used tricks like slow-motion to disguise lack of skill.  Chinese movies' directors & actors had years of training, fighting action was fast-paced & acrobatic.

Chinese Kung Fu movies often featured Shaolin monks.  Tales of the Buddhist monks fighting greedy warlords would be especially relevant today as US society breaks down.  I'm no expert on Chinese history but apparently the monks needed to adopt martial-arts training due to unstable conditions where normal government collapsed.  United States' Fed/State/local governments already slashing police department budgets as economy hollows out.  We import millions of Central Americans & Mexicans--El Salvador noted for it's world-class murder rate.  When final financial crunch happens it will be everybody for themselves.  It will be like South Africa where even rich folks with homes in gated communities live in terror.  

But despite current relevance of Shaolin warrior theme, Kung Fu is being erased from US's national consciousness.  Of course now we have Mixed Martial Arts but it's a Jew scheme.  MMA/UFC take advantage of the collapse of boxing which itself had much to do with Jewish promoter corruption, proliferation of sanctioning bodies etc.  MMA features none of the morality behind traditional Asian martial arts.  Cable TV Verizon FIOS cancelled Black Belt Channel which featured Chinese Kung Fu movies.

Chinese phrase "Kung Fu" does not only mean martial arts, it means:  for example "hard work", it can be best understood as "patient accomplishment" - the mastery of a skill through the investment of time and energy. The term became associated with martial arts because the mastery of any martial arts system does require years of dedicated practice.  Now in America such concepts are becoming alien.  Kids spend hours daily on video games but don't even practice discipline in those.  With rise of internet gaming it requires dedication to get really good but kids typically play a new game for a while & then move to another.  Now gaming is a social thing what with voice communication & kids even play while texting to friends.  Outdoor exercise is nearly gone among kids.  NFL & Cartoon Network & Coke etc promote exercise in tv ads but the horses have already run out of the barn.

Sure, some Soccer Moms send their kids to "karate" classes--actually most of the schools are run by Koreans whose traditional style is Tae Kwon Do.  Koreans often are money-grubbing types happy to sell watered-down stuff to idiots.  Much like the vast number of Yoga entrepreneurs who promote it as a girly exercise-class thing & underlying values are minimized.

How to sum up?  I remember a scene from a Chinese Kung Fu movie where the master was training his star pupil with an exceedingly difficult exercise:  IIRC it had something to do with fingertip push-ups..pupil had to keep his hands from crushing eggs placed beneath his palms.  When pupil failed & crushed the eggs he had to eat them for dinner.  Weeks of egg dinners ensued before success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vidarr
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:42 am

schmollywood may capitalize on the popularity of MMA , But there is still an honor code among the fighters who usually have their roots in traditional martial arts. "self defense" mostly attract three kind of people , Law enforcement, Criminals  and the bullied.

Yet the criminals attract the most attention but they usually stick to kickboxing which has basically less than ten techniques and anything more becomes too complex for them.Therefore a kickboxer is no match for a traditional fighter and the fighters that have become successfull in kickboxing usually have a background in Kyokushin.  

Taekwondo isn't a watered down version of Karate, It's just the korean version do not underestimate their skills.. Though they might not be as hard as the Kyokushinkai they are extremely agile and athletic

But Yeah anything depicting good moral values is banned in schmollywood. The crooks are the new  hero's..

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm

I train for self-defense/survivability, by physically conditioning my muscles and joint mechanics to serve me in all possible scenarios, with appropriate attitude/focus to complement.  You could call it MMA, although I would never think to actually fight as a form of training or demonstration because then you are getting into style conventions (karate, judo, etc.) in ring venues where, beyond the entertainment business, the real value is marginal.  The better value is just preparing your body and mind for everything, any possible adversaries (big guy, fast guy, multiple thugs, armed or not, etc), making use of any possible available implements (rocks, sticks, etc.), overcoming various obstacles, all-settings (arboreal, water, flat ground, swampy, rural, urban, rooftop, sewer, cliff, etc.).  Best to take a general but comprehensive approach or you will likely be caught out of your element with all your "formal training" for naught.  Case in point, a lot of kids who get their "black belts" are easily whooped by kids who played football because their training is too narrowly focused.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Vidarr wrote:
schmollywood may capitalize on the popularity of MMA , But there is still an honor code among the fighters who usually have their roots in traditional martial arts. "self defense" mostly attract three kind of people , Law enforcement, Criminals  and the bullied.

Yet the criminals attract the most attention but they usually stick to kickboxing which has basically less than ten techniques and anything more becomes too complex for them.Therefore a kickboxer is no match for a traditional fighter and the fighters that have become successfull in kickboxing usually have a background in Kyokushin.  

Taekwondo isn't a watered down version of Karate, It's just the korean version do not underestimate their skills.. Though they might not be as hard as the Kyokushinkai they are extremely agile and athletic

But Yeah anything depicting good moral values is banned in schmollywood. The crooks are the new  hero's..

Back before MMA became huge I watched a couple of shows, IIRC it was called full-contact karate or something.  Jeez, there was this bad-ass White dude who did a knee-kick square into opponent's head & dropped him.  Fighters, sure, are strong & skilled but this stuff is dangerous.  Boxing is risky enough but MMA/kick-boxing even more so.

Didn't mean to imply Tae Kwon Do is watered-down Karate; I was referring to the kiddy schools.  An adult cousin used to take Tae Kwon Do classes & yes it was pretty serious--sparring could be painful!  Once had Korean family neighbors that were into Judo, one of kids was nationally ranked I think.  Judo of course a far different style than Tae Kwon Do but I guess it's pretty popular in Korea.  Korean & Japan seem to have sort of a love-hate relationship, heh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 pm

wag wrote:
I train for self-defense/survivability, by physically conditioning my muscles and joint mechanics to serve me in all possible scenarios, with appropriate attitude/focus to complement.  You could call it MMA, although I would never think to actually fight as a form of training or demonstration because then you are getting into style conventions (karate, judo, etc.) in ring venues where, beyond the entertainment business, the real value is marginal.  The better value is just preparing your body and mind for everything, any possible adversaries (big guy, fast guy, multiple thugs, armed or not, etc), making use of any possible available implements (rocks, sticks, etc.), overcoming various obstacles, all-settings (arboreal, water, flat ground, swampy, rural, urban, rooftop, sewer, cliff, etc.).  Best to take a general but comprehensive approach or you will likely be caught out of your element with all your "formal training" for naught.  Case in point, a lot of kids who get their "black belts" are easily whooped by kids who played football because their training is too narrowly focused.

Yes, martial arts always evolving as styles become ritualized & stagnant. Bruce Lee of course recognized this & worked on new styles/techniques that were more efficient. Heh, part of the fun of Shaw Bro's movies was guys (& gals!) perfecting seemingly absurd animal-styles. They'd work for years on one style, get their ass beat but persist...until the Big Fight when their style 'clicks'.

One of most impressive martial-arts videos I've seen was on local cable-access "Defend Yourself" show that played a Russian Spetsnaz training video. Very practical, nothing esp unique I guess but the Russians were skilled & could do multiple variations on the basic moves.

Your concepts seem valid. Conditioning is necessary incl strength & flexibility. Pilates in USA kinda of rich-chick activity but ole' German-Greek Joe Pilates was a tough guy, did boxing, trained police etc. But later he moved to NYC & his conditioning techniques caught on with pro ballet crowd & society women LOL.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:41 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
wag wrote:

Yes, martial arts always evolving as styles become ritualized & stagnant.  Bruce Lee of course recognized this & worked on new styles/techniques that were more efficient.  Heh, part of the fun of Shaw Bro's movies was guys (& gals!) perfecting seemingly absurd animal-styles.  They'd work for years on one style, get their ass beat but persist...until the Big Fight when their style 'clicks'.

One of most impressive martial-arts videos I've seen was on local cable-access "Defend Yourself" show that played a Russian Spetsnaz training video.  Very practical, nothing esp unique I guess but the Russians were skilled & could do multiple variations on the basic moves.

Your concepts seem valid.  Conditioning is necessary incl strength & flexibility.  Pilates in USA kinda of rich-chick activity but ole' German-Greek Joe Pilates was a tough guy, did boxing, trained police etc.  But later he moved to NYC & his conditioning techniques caught on with pro ballet crowd & society women LOL.

Is there a better non-gun defense than a pocket full of those ninja star things?  Just flick and run.  Repeat as necessary.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why America is in the Pits   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1