Deflated balls in the headlines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Deflated balls in the headlines   Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 pm

Armour: Belichick, Brady have no clue and no credibility

Nancy Armour, USA TODAY Sports 7:44 p.m. EST January 22, 2015

USA TODAY Sports' Lorenzo Reyes breaks down New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's Thursday press conference in which he addressed Deflategate.

(Photo: Stew Milne, USA TODAY Sports)

54 COMMENTEMAIL
The biggest control freaks in the NFL sure picked a convenient time to go oblivious.
The New England Patriots are the most secretive, most suspicious, most aggressively competitive team in the league. Probably all of sports. Yet Bill Belichick has "no explanation" for how balls might have been deflated during Sunday's AFC Championship. Tom Brady has "no knowledge of anything" – except that he'd never do anything to break the rules, of course.
Now, if this were another team, ignorance would probably pass for an excuse. But Belichick has proven time and again that no detail is small enough to escape his attention, that he'll do just about anything to gain a competitive advantage. This, remember, is the guy who once put Brady on the injury report for three years running just to throw off opponents.
That someone could be tampering with footballs without Belichick's knowledge and/or tacit approval simply begs credibility.

USA TODAY

Patriots' Bill Belichick on Deflategate: 'I had no knowledge' until Monday

"My overall knowledge of football specifications, the overall process that happens on game day with the footballs is very limited," Belichick said Thursday morning. "I would say that during the course of the game, I honestly never – it probably has happened on an incomplete pass or something – but I've never touched a game ball. It's not something I have any familiarity with.
"Again, I was completely and totally unaware of any of this that we're talking about the last couple of days until Monday morning."
Mind you, he said this mere minutes after going to great lengths to describe what he does to footballs to make practice as difficult as possible for his players.
"The balls we practice with are as bad as they can be," Belichick said. "Wet, sticky, cold, slippery – however bad we can make them, I make them. Anytime players complain about the quality of the footballs, I make them worse and that stops the complaining."
Brady swore he couldn't tell a difference in the balls Sunday night, saying he doesn't pay attention to air pressure. Yet he got pretty specific at one point, saying he likes balls at 12.5 PSI, the lowest allowed by the NFL because "that's a perfect grip for the football."
But nooo, neither would have any idea whatsoever how all of those footballs suddenly lost air pressure Sunday night.

FOR THE WIN

Bill Belichick hung Tom Brady out to dry

As far as controversies go, Deflategate's ridiculousness is outdone only by the breathless attention being devoted to it. This is not a point-shaving scandal. No one's health or safety was compromised. Or, as Brady put it, "This isn't ISIS. No one's dying."
But cheating -- in any form -- calls the game's integrity into question, and that's not something the NFL can afford. Not this season.
The NFL is still trying to repair the damage done by its woeful response to the Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy domestic abuse cases. For one of its preeminent franchises, with a future Hall of Fame coach and star quarterback, to be caught up in something so juvenile the week before the Super Bowl makes Roger Goodell's prized shield look like a piece of cardboard covered in tinfoil by a kindergartner.
Which brings us back to Belichick.
With everything else an NFL coach has to do, especially one as obsessive as Belichick, the idea of him skulking around the bowels of a stadium before a game with an air gauge and needle in his hand is laughable. But so were his answers.
In the 15 years that Brady has been his quarterback, Belichick has never, ever, had a conversation about what kind of game ball Brady prefers or the best way to get them to his liking? He hasn't studied whether a ball that is flatter or rounder could give his team an advantage, no matter how slight?
Or, given his penchant for subterfuge, he's never been suspicious about what other teams were doing and questioned the process?
"I've told you everything I know," Belichick said repeatedly. "I don't have any explanation for what happened."
Maybe, maybe not. But in answering questions Thursday, all Belichick and Brady did was raise a few more.
WATCH: Will Goodell punish Patriots over Deflategate?

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 pm

Which rogue leader at the jews poking at with this?

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:08 am

Evil Jew teams Seattle & Boston get to Super Bowl but Good Teams Ravens & Packers got close. Fitting enough that Seahawks & Patriots face each other in Super Bowl.

JMSM covers in case actual Super Bowl sucks with hyping commercials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 pm

I see a storyline involving Brady, not good for Brady.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 am

JMSM running cover with numerous stories about how deflated footballs not that big an advantage. Seems like it would be good advantage at least in the rain. Big TV doesn't want anything to crimp Super Bowl megaprofits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:19 am

Patriots probably used heated air to inflate the balls to regulation pressure, which then sat outside and softened.  Not like they (and Green Bay, Buffalo, etc. but not dome teams) would not know the legal trick by now up there.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 am

CNN had ole' QB Fran Tarkenton as phone-in guest which was pretty interesting. Tarkenton agreed that yes, pressure made a bit of difference but quickly went on to claim that NFL is massively doping which makes far more difference. He referred to well-known cases of MLB, Lance etc.

But CNN didn't really appreciate his tack & essentially cut him off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:53 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
CNN had ole' QB Fran Tarkenton as phone-in guest which was pretty interesting.  Tarkenton agreed that yes, pressure made a bit of difference but quickly went on to claim that NFL is massively doping which makes far more difference.  He referred to well-known cases of MLB, Lance etc.

But CNN didn't really appreciate his tack & essentially cut him off.

Cool for Fran, still the elusive pocket scrambler!

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 am

wag wrote:

SNL once had funny bit where interviewer asked Tarkenton (playing himself) about the new issue of Black QB's..."Are black QB's as smart as White ones?". Fran said, "No, White QB's really are smarter".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:59 am

EyeBelieve wrote:
wag wrote:

SNL once had funny bit where interviewer asked Tarkenton (playing himself) about the new issue of Black QB's..."Are black QB's as smart as White ones?".  Fran said, "No, White QB's really are smarter".

Blacks also seem to lack some pocket awareness.  Used to watch Vick and Randall Cunningham, they would go into scramble more at a certain time in the progression, not due to the pressure.  Then if pressure comes early, they don't see the hit coming.  Black drivers also don't seem as aware of what is aside or behind them.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deflated balls in the headlines   

Back to top Go down

Deflated balls in the headlines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1