Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:10 am

JMSM ignores skiing except for Olympics.  USA hosts this year's World Ski Championships & Beaver Creek prepared a wicked course for mens' Super G/downhill.

But winter sports remain a cult thing in USA.  In DC 99% retreat inside in freezing temps, only a few White hardcore runners/bikers left on paths/roads.

Germany's Anna Fenninger took gold in womens' Super G with an awesome flawless run.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:23 pm

I guess none of the jewy trust fund ski-kids were competitive.  

Fenniger

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 pm

If it wasn't for Lindsay Vonn & her Black boyfriends the MSM wouldn't mention skiing at all. Most Americans seem to hate winter, esp southerners. Kids don't even go out to play in the snow anymore. I like the fresh winter air, a nice change from the heat & humidity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:02 am

EyeBelieve wrote:
If it wasn't for Lindsay Vonn & her Black boyfriends the MSM wouldn't mention skiing at all.  Most Americans seem to hate winter, esp southerners.  Kids don't even go out to play in the snow anymore.  I like the fresh winter air, a nice change from the heat & humidity.

Nothing better than being out in the weather with the feeling of having dressed right.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:38 am

wag wrote:

Nothing better than being out in the weather with the feeling of having dressed right.

One sees lots of school kids walking home from bus/school in winter wearing shorts, t-shirts etc. Used to think it was a positive sign that kids were expressing a way of toughening up. Now I realize that modern kids are so removed from physical reality (what with texting/FB Virtual Life) they barely even notice things. & many Americans both young & old have the silly habit of wearing short-sleeves/pants indoors in winter. First, it's logical to keep thermostat down & wear sensible warm clothes inside plus that helps one stay warmer so when one goes outside there's a little cushion of body heat until the outdoor activity helps produce heat.

Was helping some friends get ready to take their kids skiing for first time, turned out that proper wicking base layer (long underwear) for kids little available. Downhill skiing places a premium on warm clothing--as I've discovered one has to wear twice the amount of clothing vs jogging/biking in same temps to avoid getting chilled.

Watching Beaver Creek downhill now w/Jared Goldberg being one of new US 'stars'. I apologize for saying Beaver Creek was in Oregon (it's in Colorado, duh). Course is a fearsome bear with lots of air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:46 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
Now I realize that modern kids are so removed from physical reality (what with texting/FB Virtual Life) they barely even notice things.  & many Americans both young & old have the silly habit of wearing short-sleeves/pants indoors in winter.  First, it's logical to keep thermostat down & wear sensible warm clothes inside plus that helps one stay warmer so when one goes outside there's a little cushion of body heat until the outdoor activity helps produce heat.

We only turn on the heat when it gets too cold in the house, like below 60, and never at night.  I typically wear two layers unless moving around.  Then add maybe another thin layer to go outside.  Would like one day to design and market outdoor winter work-out gear, to include a long shirt that hugs your waste and doesn't pull up when doing high bar work.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 am

wag wrote:

We only turn on the heat when it gets too cold in the house, like below 60, and never at night.  I typically wear two layers unless moving around.  Then add maybe another thin layer to go outside.  Would like one day to design and market outdoor winter work-out gear, to include a long shirt that hugs your waste and doesn't pull up when doing high bar work.

Wow, you guys are tough.  I once tried lowering thermostat to ~58°, tolerable during daytime but too cold at nite.  Bike clothes (jerseys/jackets) designed to have extra length esp in back.  But I'm not aware of base layers specifically designed for extra length.  In Olden Days they had the Union Suit.  Pretty chilly winter so far, kinda like last winter ie cold but little snow.

In Britain (AFAIK) in old days many flats/houses didn't have central heating...some of the cheaper rental flats had coin-operated electric radiators.  last time I visited Amsterdam was a very cold day but the crazy Dutch just don't give a f*ck, they're out on weekend mornings sipping coffee & munching fries outside.  Saw this huge (gay?) guy rollerblading in a t-shirt & orange (patriotic color) shorts.  Whoops, on second glance it turns out he wasn't even wearing shorts...it was a thong & the orange part was his butt LOL.  Only in Amsterdam...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:27 am

EyeBelieve wrote:

Wow, you guys are tough.  I once tried lowering thermostat to ~58°, tolerable during daytime but too cold at nite.  Bike clothes (jerseys/jackets) designed to have extra length esp in back.  But I'm not aware of base layers specifically designed for extra length.  In Olden Days they had the Union Suit.  Pretty chilly winter so far, kinda like last winter ie cold but little snow.

In Britain (AFAIK) in old days many flats/houses didn't have central heating...some of the cheaper rental flats had coin-operated electric radiators.  last time I visited Amsterdam was a very cold day but the crazy Dutch just don't give a f*ck, they're out on weekend mornings sipping coffee & munching fries outside.  Saw this huge (gay?) guy rollerblading in a t-shirt & orange (patriotic color) shorts.  Whoops, on second glance it turns out he wasn't even wearing shorts...it was a thong & the orange part was his butt LOL.  Only in Amsterdam...

The bathroom floor heat (electric coil under tile) is programmed to come on from 3 to 6am, so that helps soften the bite.

Don't really have a strong desire to visit Holland, but I guess winter might be the best time if they are active like that.  I've gotten addicted to cold outdoor exercise; we'll see who shivers or flinches first.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 am

wag wrote:

The bathroom floor heat (electric coil under tile) is programmed to come on from 3 to 6am, so that helps soften the bite.

Don't really have a strong desire to visit Holland, but I guess winter might be the best time if they are active like that.  I've gotten addicted to cold outdoor exercise; we'll see who shivers or flinches first.

Nobody likes a cold bathroom, heh. Except for the Alaskan rural folk who have outhouses! Brrr. Netherlands is mostly pretty boring, most towns look alike & within the towns all the houses look alike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship   

Back to top Go down

JMSM Gives Short Shrift to Beaver Creek Oregon World Cup Ski Championship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1