Laconics Round Table

Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:38 am

NPR gets the same silly "too White" treatment as Hollywood often does.  NPR & PBS are heavily Jewish but that's completely ignored.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/does-public-radio-sound-too-white-npr-itself-tries-to-find-the-answer/2015/01/30/f08f58cc-a899-11e4-a06b-9df2002b86a0_story.html

By Paul Farhi January 30

It’s a question sometimes whispered but never boldly confronted: Does NPR, and public radio in general, sound too “white”?

NPR itself suggested Thursday that the answer might be yes in an unusual bit of public self-examination. In a commentary aired on “All Things Considered,” its signature newscast, and in a subsequent Twitter chat that quickly trended nationally, the public radio network lit the fuse on an explosive discussion about how a broadcast should sound.

The commentary came from Chenjerai Kumanyika, an African American who is an assistant professor of communication studies at Clemson University and a radio producer. Kumanyika’s “All Things Considered” piece left no doubt about his point of view: It was titled “Challenging the Whiteness of Public Radio.”

While editing a script aloud for another public radio program last June, Kumanyika said in his commentary, he realized he was “imagining another voice, one that sounded more white.”

As a result, he concluded: “Without being directly told, people like me learn that our way of speaking isn’t professional. And you start to imitate the standard or even hide the distinctive features of your own voice. This is one of the reasons that some of my black and brown friends refuse to listen to some of my favorite radio shows despite my most passionate efforts.”

Kumanyika was referring to the subtle matter of code-switching, or speaking one way to one’s immediate peers and another way — call it more “white” — to a larger group. No matter the racial or ethnic identity of the speaker, people on public radio sound white, he suggested.

“I was hoping to expand the conversation,” Kumanyika said in an interview. “This is not only about race but about class and ethnicity, too. I was hoping that audiences and listeners can begin to rethink what their expectations are and what we’re missing if we don’t challenge our comfort zones.”

The topic immediately blew up on Twitter, drawing thousands of comments in a long-running “tweetup” (at #PubRadioVoice) hosted by several of NPR’s African American and Latino journalists, including Audie Cornish, a host of “All Things Considered.”

“What is ‘professional’?” tweeted Stacey E. Singleton, a lawyer. “So many deeply embedded layers of what people presume educated/professional is supposed to sound like.”

“You know how [Kumanyika’s] friend doesn’t like Pub Radio because it doesn’t sound like him? White people would go the same way,” wrote Andy Wardlaw, an editor.

Lizzie O’Leary, who hosts public radio’s “Marketplace Weekend,” tweeted that women can also face an issue on the air: “I was excited about something and a listener complained I sounded ‘like a sorority girl.’ ’’

Like many news organizations, Washington-based NPR has long struggled with diversity, on and off the air. Most infamously, it drew an avalanche of criticism in 2010 when it dismissed news analyst Juan Williams — its only African American commentator — after he made some intemperate remarks on a Fox News program. It also drew grief last year when it dropped “Tell Me More,” a daily news-discussion program designed to increase NPR’s minority audience.

Amid those episodes, NPR started Code Switch, with a team of journalists covering race and culture, both online and on the air. The unit organized the Twitter discussion about public radio voices.

The Twitter response is “an indicator of how much people wanted to have this conversation,” said Lynette Clemetson, who heads the 11-member Identity and Culture reporting unit at NPR that includes Code Switch.

The generally middle American — i.e., “white” — sound of NPR is perhaps most evident, even startling, when reporters of Latino heritage “sign” their reports by saying their names with a strongly Spanish pronunciation. Sylvia Poggioli, NPR’s longtime correspondent in Rome, is perhaps as famous for her reporting as for the distinctive way she pronounces her name with an Italian inflection.

At its most hilarious, the NPR “sound” was captured by “Saturday Night Live” several years ago in a serial skit about a fictitious public radio cooking show, “Delicious Dish.” Cast members Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon as the hosts, and Alec Baldwin as a frequent guest, captured the cooing, lulling, almost hypnotic slow-rolling rhythms of an NPR broadcast.

“We really have to think about who is the public in ‘public media,’ ” Kumanyika said in his “All Things Considered” commentary. “The demographics of race and ethnicity are changing in the United States. The sound of public media must reflect that diversity. So get on it. It’s time to make moves.”
Paul Farhi is The Washington Post's media reporter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:42 am

PBS's website oddly makes it difficult to find directors/executives. Had to Google for PBS + directors to discover exec staff. Jews claim PBS/NPR are invaluable but seemingly can't point to any issue where they actually did something positive for "Whites" let alone rest of 99%.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:47 am

EyeBelieve wrote:
PBS's website oddly makes it difficult to find directors/executives.  Had to Google for PBS + directors to discover exec staff.  Jews claim PBS/NPR are invaluable but seemingly can't point to any issue where they actually did something positive for "Whites" let alone rest of 99%.

NPR is for when you want to vent.  Just put it on in your car, keep the windows up, scream and let it all out.  You feel a bit better after.

Last edited by wag on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laconas
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Surprisingly, because NPR is so totally Jewish run, I've seen them talk about Jewish issues the other msm can't touch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amalgamy
Porkchop

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:54 pm

laconas wrote:
Surprisingly, because NPR is so totally Jewish run, I've seen them talk about Jewish issues the other msm can't touch.

NPR can’t stop talking about Jews

Last Sunday, March 17, was St. Patrick’s Day, and I turned on my local public-radio outlet just in time to hear how National Public Radio news was celebrating the occasion: with a 4-minute, 28-second segment on something called the Loyal League of Yiddish Sons of Erin, a now-defunct New York organization of Jews born in Ireland.

Immediately after that came an even longer segment – six minutes, six seconds – entitled “How Does A Jewish Artist Tell The Ultimate Christian Story?” about an Argentine Jewish composer, Osvaldo Golijov, whose choral work “The Passion According to St. Mark” was recently performed at Carnegie Hall.

That day’s show was an extreme case, but the pattern is familiar to anyone who listens to NPR regularly: they can’t stop talking about the Jews. Even though those of us who are Jewish amount to less than 2 percent of the U.S. population[1], NPR devotes a level of loving attention to Jewish traditions, culture, and history that it displays toward no other religious or ethnic group. In addition to those St. Patrick’s Day pieces, consider these other stories the network has aired just in the first three weeks of this month: an interview with a woman who runs a website dedicated to collecting customized Passover haggadot (the Hebrew plural, I learned from the story, of haggada, the Passover prayerbook); not one but two celebrations (here and here) of Philip Roth’s 80th birthday; an interview with the two authors (both Jewish) of a book entitled “FDR and the Jews;” a profile of a century-old store on New York’s Lower East Side that sells herring and other “Jewish soulfood;” and an interview with the director of a new documentary about “Hava Nagila.”

Then there’s the coverage from Israel. In addition to numerous reports on Netanyahu’s coalition and Obama’s visit, NPR has found time in the last month to do a piece about swarms of locusts invading southern Israel and another about the restoration of some wetlands in northern Israel. Aside from the lack of any reference to the Palestinians who previously inhabited these lands, the stories weren’t particularly objectionable, but what other small (or even large) foreign country gets that kind of attention? Reporter Larry Abramson himself noted that the locusts came from Africa and had passed through Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula; he didn’t bother to explain why NPR considered them newsworthy only when they reached the Jewish State.

The other side of the coin in all this is that other religions, even those that have many more adherents in the U.S., get far less attention from NPR than their numbers might suggest. To confirm this, I dug up the data on the religious affiliations of the U.S. population. Then I headed over to NPR.org and did some simple searches to find out how often the names of major American religions were mentioned on the air on all NPR programs over the last year. This a pretty crude indicator, and I’ll mention some important caveats below, but the results are nevertheless quite striking:

- See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2013/03/talking-about-jews#sthash.9tr8T1kS.dpuf

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:39 pm

NPR would be happy to be viewed as 'white', as misdirection, since it's about culturally and socio-politically judaizing whites, and other gentiles in general.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laconas
Filet Mignon

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:01 am

Good story about NPR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 am

NPR is Jews' cracker barrel, heh. In the car I only listen to C-SPAN or trance music. NPR is too animated. Local traffic so annoying & unpredictable that I prefer hypnotic droning to help relax. C-SPAN full of lying Jews too but somehow it doesn't bother me while driving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
NPR is Jews' cracker barrel, heh.  In the car I only listen to C-SPAN or trance music.  NPR is too animated.  Local traffic so annoying & unpredictable that I prefer hypnotic droning to help relax.  C-SPAN full of lying Jews too but somehow it doesn't bother me while driving.

You are a wise one!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?   

Back to top Go down

National Public Radio Sounds "Too White"?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1