HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Winter Storm Neptune?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:52 pm

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-neptune-blizzard-boston-snow-new-england

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Wind: Damaging wind gusts in excess of 60 mph are likely over eastern Massachusetts, including Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard Sunday, especially during the daytime hours. Areas near the immediate coast could see wind gusts to 75 mph. These gusts will likely lead to significant tree damage, power outages and potentially some damage to buildings (broken windows and awnings, shingle loss from roofs cleared of snow, etc.).
Strong winds are expected across a large area of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. For a more complete summary of wind-related threats, please see our Neptune wind forecast for important forecast and safety information.
Wind chills: Temperatures will plummet during and after the storm across the Northeast, leading to wind chills well below zero. This will increase the danger of frostbite and hypothermia for those caught in the storm.
(MORE: Bitterly Cold Air Invading Again)
Coastal flooding: North-facing shorelines of eastern Massachusetts (Nantucket Island, Cape Cod Bay, south shore south of Boston) may see storm surge flooding during the Sunday morning high tide cycle, particularly in areas affected by Winter Storm Juno a few weeks ago.

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Getting ready to rock and roll!

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:03 am

Yikes, went out for a jog early evening, started out balmy & 1/2-hr later a howling blizzard with thunder even. Gonna be wicked in New England.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:14 am

You guys be safe out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 am

I think the worst of the wind is behind us, ...big gust we speak!

But sunny and I plan to watch it set while exercising later today.  Layers!

FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm

wag wrote:

Sounds like a good plan. How'd it go?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 am

FrontierJustice wrote:
wag wrote:

Quickly.  I watched the sunset through a south facing window.  Temp was ten and wind speed a steady twenty.

FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 am

wag wrote:
FrontierJustice wrote:

Quickly.  I watched the sunset through a south facing window.  Temp was ten and wind speed a steady twenty.

Brrrr. Well good scenery/a good sunset can make up for having to stay indoors. And a good workout makes up for just about anything.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 pm

FrontierJustice wrote:
wag wrote:

Brrrr. Well good scenery/a good sunset can make up for having to stay indoors. And a good workout makes up for just about anything.

Now 5 degrees but no wind, feels okay.  Dogs made it through the night just fine, ...or at least without complaint.  Healthy conditions, I think!

But now gearing up for Winter Storm Octavia - http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/southeast-octavia-neptune-impacts

Interesting, never heard of this one, from the Czech company Skoda...

Target Price team says:

The Octavia is closer in size to a Ford Mondeo than a Focus, yet costs significantly less than a VW Golf.
Our favourite engine is the 1.2 TSI. This entry-level unit gives an impressive blend of performance and economy, and keeps the price temptingly low. SE trim gets you all the kit you’re likely to need.
Don’t discount the diesels, though, especially if you’re a company car driver. The Greenline model is the best of the 1.6s, because it gets a six-speed manual gearbox instead of the five-speeder fitted to standard 1.6 TDI models. It gets the same equipment as SE trim, too.
The 2.0 TDI is seriously strong and remarkably efficient, so is the best option if you value strong performance.
The exterior styling might look a bit staid, but the Octavia is spacious, has a solid-feeling cabin, is good to drive and comes at a great price to boot.

FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:12 am

wag wrote:
Now 5 degrees but no wind, feels okay.  Dogs made it through the night just fine, ...or at least without complaint.  Healthy conditions, I think!

But now gearing up for Winter Storm Octavia - http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/southeast-octavia-neptune-impacts

Target Price team says:

The Octavia is closer in size to a Ford Mondeo than a Focus, yet costs significantly less than a VW Golf.
Our favourite engine is the 1.2 TSI. This entry-level unit gives an impressive blend of performance and economy, and keeps the price temptingly low. SE trim gets you all the kit you’re likely to need.
Don’t discount the diesels, though, especially if you’re a company car driver. The Greenline model is the best of the 1.6s, because it gets a six-speed manual gearbox instead of the five-speeder fitted to standard 1.6 TDI models. It gets the same equipment as SE trim, too.
The 2.0 TDI is seriously strong and remarkably efficient, so is the best option if you value strong performance.
The exterior styling might look a bit staid, but the Octavia is spacious, has a solid-feeling cabin, is good to drive and comes at a great price to boot.

Good feeling, to embrace it! Winter has been kind to us this season in the area I'm in, though colder than what I was previously used to.

First thought to 'Octavia' was this Octavia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_the_Younger why the storm (or car) named after her?
Re: diesel, curious: is driving a diesel car comparable to driving a diesel truck, as far as getting that little extra smoother 'vroom'? (only diesel I've driven was a truck). Also, though it's predicted that gas prices are going back up, gas vs diesel still something to consider since diesel prices look like they'll stay higher whenever gas prices go down, though better mileage. That Skoda looks pretty nice, except possibly too cramped inside?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 pm

FrontierJustice wrote:
Also, though it's predicted that gas prices are going back up, gas vs diesel still something to consider since diesel prices look like they'll stay higher whenever gas prices go down, though better mileage. That Skoda looks pretty nice, except possibly too cramped inside?

In the US, makes no sense to drive diesel, the market is fixed against it.  I'm sure jews profit from the markup all through the supply chain, and don't mind having it play second fiddle to gasoline.  Truckers don't pay for their own diesel out of pocket, so they don't complain.  Germans once had some decent turbo diesels, but I think the market killed that. 

Cost of energy is very controlled nationally, as it is a cost of living measure and acts like a form of taxation.  Internationally it is a board tilter, which is why (Ukraine/Russia) they crashed the market.  With the market not very enticing for development, jews will be maneuvering (Iraq, etc.) for when they bring oil back up, ...who knows when.

FrontierJustice
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 am

wag wrote:
FrontierJustice wrote:
Also, though it's predicted that gas prices are going back up, gas vs diesel still something to consider since diesel prices look like they'll stay higher whenever gas prices go down, though better mileage. That Skoda looks pretty nice, except possibly too cramped inside?

In the US, makes no sense to drive diesel, the market is fixed against it.  I'm sure jews profit from the markup all through the supply chain, and don't mind having it play second fiddle to gasoline.  Truckers don't pay for their own diesel out of pocket, so they don't complain.  Germans once had some decent turbo diesels, but I think the market killed that. 

Cost of energy is very controlled nationally, as it is a cost of living measure and acts like a form of taxation.  Internationally it is a board tilter, which is why (Ukraine/Russia) they crashed the market.  With the market not very enticing for development, jews will be maneuvering (Iraq, etc.) for when they bring oil back up, ...who knows when.

Yeah industry won't minimize their diesel fuel use no matter what the price is - operations have to continue. Whereas average drivers can be a little more flexible with gasoline. The elephant in the room is how easily markets can be manipulated (as this ploy against Russia shows). And yet I wonder how bad the oil manipulation will hit America. It's nice at the pump, but not nice for jobs. Multinationals could give a shit either way.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:41 am

wag wrote:

Was driving the Mt Evans road in Colorado, very high altitude & twisty. At the summit parking lot saw a team of German professional drivers getting ready to test a Skoda model. Exteriors were a dull gray or black as test cars often do to minimize attention. I was probably the only driver there who realized it was a test going on so while driving back down I pulled over to let a couple of 'em by. German Car God surely gave me a star on the chart for helping to advance technology! cheers

I think that was the time that VW had recently bought Skoda & was in the process of revamping the line. Kind of a shame that while diesels are so much better now there's little interest in the US. Drove a diesel Mercedes in Germany & it was pretty nice. Good mileage even at high speeds, nice torque, pretty quiet. I think it had a 135 mph speed governor. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:24 pm

I crossed paths years ago with a very unassuming German guy here doing some research on a personal project.  I asked what he did for a living, he was a car test driver.  My impression, before the encounter, would be to expect a young hotshot, Chuck Yeager/race car driver wannabe, or trust fund jew with big ego.  I guess in Germany, it's more a commoner type job.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 am

wag wrote:
I crossed paths years ago with a very unassuming German guy here doing some research on a personal project.  I asked what he did for a living, he was a car test driver.  My impression, before the encounter, would be to expect a young hotshot, Chuck Yeager/race car driver wannabe, or trust fund jew with big ego.  I guess in Germany, it's more a commoner type job.

Drivers I saw looked pretty normal, 20's to 40's mostly, at least one young woman. I wouldn't say "commoner" since it's likely they at least had experience w/sports car racing or such. But yeah, most of test driving is somewhat routine--I guess more important to have careful drivers who can communicate w/engineers. The German drivers in a surprisingly cheery mood.

Remember when 60 Minutesfeatured the Lamborghini test driver flashing down the little Italian highways at lightning speed?

Once was driving in North Germany at night, dark rural area. Near-zero traffic on the AutoBahn; I was going slow, 70-90 mph. Guy in Mercedes sports car comes over the hill behind me at 180 mph & in seconds passes me & is flying over the next hill. Totally overdriving headlights (Krauts don't allow the kewl 70's-type custom lights anymore) but I guess Mercedes dude knew the layout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Skoda Octavia vRS 230 – going faster again in 2015
In 2015 Geneva Motor Show, Cars, International News, Skoda / By Anthony Lim / 23 February 2015 

In 2013, Skoda debuted its third-generation Octavia vRS (known as the RS in markets away from the UK), which was the fastest Octavia ever – with 220 PS and 350 Nm, the car was good for a 0-100 km/h time of 6.8 seconds and a 248 km/h top speed.

Now, there’s going to be a new champ in 2015 – the mantle of the fastest series-production Octavia is going to be passed on to the Octavia vRS 230, which will make its debut in Geneva. Power coming off the VW-derived 2.0 litre turbo mill is up by 10 PS over the current car, lending the version its particular suffix.

Essentially, what’s on here is very much the equivalent of the factory-installed Performance Pack as seen on the Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk7, which adds an additional 10 PS to give that one a total of 230 PS.

With the extra 10 ponies, performance numbers have improved, just – the 0-100 km/h sprint has been shaved to 6.7 seconds, and the top speed has also creeped up to 249 km/h. Brings new meaning to the term inching away, but that’s what vRS 230 owners will be able to do in a head-to-head with those in the 2013 car.

Set to make its market debut in June, the Octavia vRS 230 is the first Skoda to feature as standard fitment an electronically-controlled front axle differential lock for improved cornering.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Storm Neptune?   

Back to top Go down

Winter Storm Neptune?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1