Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Paul Cuffee

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Captain Paul Cuffe engraving in 1812 from a drawing by Dr. John Pele of Bristol, England[1]

Paul Cuffee or Paul Cuffe (January 17, 1759 – September 9, 1817) was a Quaker businessman, sea captain, patriot, and abolitionist. He was of Aquinnah Wampanoag and West African Ashanti descent and helped colonize Sierra Leone. Cuffe built a lucrative shipping empire and established the first racially integrated school in Westport, Massachusetts.[2]
A devout Christian, Cuffee often preached and spoke at the Sunday services at the multi-racial Society of Friends meeting house in Westport, Massachusetts.[3] In 1813, he donated most of the money to build a new meeting house. He became involved in the British effort to resettle freed slaves, many of whom had moved from the US to Nova Scotia after the American Revolution, to the fledgling colony of Sierra Leone. Cuffe helped establish The Friendly Society of Sierra Leone, which provided financial support for the colony.

Early life

The future mariner Paul Cuffee was born on January 17, 1759, during the French and Indian War, on Cuttyhunk Island, Massachusetts. He was the youngest son of Kofi or Cuffee Slocum and Ruth Moses. Paul's father, Kofi, was a member of the Akan ethnic group's Ashanti subgroup, probably from Ghana, Africa.[4] Kofi had been captured at age ten and brought as a slave to the British colony of Massachusetts. His owner, John Slocum, could not reconcile slave ownership with his own Quaker values and gave Kofi his freedom in the mid-1740s. Kofi took the name Cuffee Slocum and, in 1746, he married Ruth Moses.[5] Ruth was a Native American member of the Wampanoag Nation on Martha's Vineyard. Cuffee Slocum worked as a skilled carpenter, farmer and fisherman and taught himself to read and write. He worked diligently to earn enough money to buy a home and in 1766 bought a 116-acre (0.47 km2) farm in nearby Dartmouth, Massachusetts.[3] The couple would raise ten children together, of which Paul was the seventh in line.[6]
During Paul Cuffe's infancy there was no Quaker meeting house on Cuttyhunk Island, so Kofi taught himself the Scriptures.[7] In 1766, when Paul was eight years old, the family moved to a farm in Dartmouth, Massachusetts. Cuffee Slocum died in 1772, when Paul was 13. As Paul's two eldest brothers had families of their own elsewhere, he and his brother John took over their father's farm operations and cared for their mother and three younger sisters. Around 1778 Paul persuaded his brothers and sisters to use their father's English first name, Cuffee, as their family name, and all but the youngest did.[8] Paul, though, signed his name by spelling it 'Cuffe' with one 'e'.[9] His mother, Ruth Moses, died on January 6, 1787.[10]

Last edited by wag on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Ruth Moses
Born 1935 in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Ruth was the only child of Berta and Hugo Moses. She lived in Frankfurt am Main, one of Europe's most important Jewish centers. Frankfurt's Jewish community participated in all aspects of the city's social and cultural life. Jewish citizens played an important role in the city's commerce and industry. In 1933, the city even had a Jewish mayor, Ludwig Landmann.
Following the Nazi rise to power on January 30, 1933, Frankfurt's Jews were subjected to physical assaults and to a general boycott of Jewish businesses, even before any official laws were enacted. All public institutions dismissed Jews from their staffs - hospitals, courts, schools, universities, and institutions of culture and the arts. Economic conditions grew even worse after the passage of the "Nuremberg Laws" in 1935. Ruth was born in that year.
After October 1941, Jews were forbidden to leave Germany. The Nazis began rounding them up and sending them to ghettos in eastern Europe. Six year-old Ruth and her parents were deported to a sealed-off ghetto in the city of Riga, the capital of Latvia.
The Riga ghetto's previous residents, 30,000 local Jews, were murdered by the Nazis in November 1941, to make room for the newly arriving German Jews. Conditions in the ghetto were horrendous. The ghetto was plagued with little food, poor sanitation, and horrible overcrowding. Thousands of people died of starvation, disease, and exposure.
The ghetto was eventually emptied of its inhabitants. Most of the inhabitants were gassed to death in transport vans or were shot. Others were sent to labor camps, where they were worked to death. By December 1943, there were no Jews left in the Riga ghetto.
Nothing is known about Ruth's fate after she was sent to Riga. No trace has ever been found.
One and a half million Jewish children were murdered by the Germans and their collaborators during the Holocaust.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:56 am

A good history lesson, Jewgroes didn't start with Obama! At first I saw the silhouette & thought it was going to be background on the Quaker Oats guy, heh. At grocery store I overheard a middle-aged shopper ask companion "what is quick oats?". Jeez.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
A good history lesson, Jewgroes didn't start with Obama!  At first I saw the silhouette & thought it was going to be background on the Quaker Oats guy, heh.  At grocery store I overheard a middle-aged shopper ask companion "what is quick oats?".  Jeez.

Cheerios are the quickest, but maybe they were just bagel people.  Doesn't seem like folks today want to even have to boil stuff, let alone for 20 minutes.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:29 am

wag wrote:
EyeBelieve wrote:
A good history lesson, Jewgroes didn't start with Obama!  At first I saw the silhouette & thought it was going to be background on the Quaker Oats guy, heh.  At grocery store I overheard a middle-aged shopper ask companion "what is quick oats?".  Jeez.

Cheerios are the quickest, but maybe they were just bagel people.  Doesn't seem like folks today want to even have to boil stuff, let alone for 20 minutes.

I've heard Irish or Scots sometimes cook oats for a long time like 1/2-hr or more. But Quaker "old fashioned" oats only take 5 minutes & can actually be eaten only after soaking for a while. Recently was surprised to see how many varieties of "Honey Bunches of Oats" there is. Germans have good sensible breakfasts that are ez to prepare: some muesli w/yogurt, couple slices of crisp bread w/Westphalian ham & you're good to go. Chef EB famous for baking bacon--takes 30 min but superb results, crisp & non-greasy. Some restaurants do that but fairly unheard of to most Yanquis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:21 am

EyeBelieve wrote:
Chef EB famous for baking bacon--takes 30 min but superb results, crisp & non-greasy.  Some restaurants do that but fairly unheard of to most Yanquis.

Bacon, eggs and hash browns, the classic, still untopped.  Scrapple, grits brings it just a notch down.  Nothing sweet before lunch other than fresh OJ when you're out of tomato juice.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:12 am

wag wrote:
EyeBelieve wrote:
Chef EB famous for baking bacon--takes 30 min but superb results, crisp & non-greasy.  Some restaurants do that but fairly unheard of to most Yanquis.

Bacon, eggs and hash browns, the classic, still untopped.  Scrapple, grits brings it just a notch down.  Nothing sweet before lunch other than fresh OJ when you're out of tomato juice.

Penn-Dutch types say supermarket scrapple is crap. Grits not esp nutritional but bland & digestible enough. Perhaps most important thing for breakfast is to avoid white flour. Swiss have perfected hash browns with their Rostis, now the official breakfast dish of Switzerland. Easy 1-dish concept where shredded potatoes are fried in cast-iron skillet & topped w/veggy or protein of choice.

Euros even have a potato classification system which gives consumers info about starch/sugar/water etc content of potatoes. Rosti fans nonetheless argue about if potatoes should be pre-cooked etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Nothing wrong with this!

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:30 am

wag wrote:
Nothing wrong with this!

Just make sure to scrape the green crud off. Laughing Funny how in restaurants that used to use parsley as a garnish...100% of people would throw it away like it was poison. A friend had been to the Middle East, I axed her if she liked tabbouleh & she said "I would like it except for the parsley". (Parsley being #1 ingredient of course).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 am

EyeBelieve wrote:
wag wrote:
Nothing wrong with this!

Just make sure to scrape the green crud off.  Laughing Funny how in restaurants that used to use parsley as a garnish...100% of people would throw it away like it was poison.  A friend had been to the Middle East, I axed her if she liked tabbouleh & she said "I would like it except for the parsley".  (Parsley being #1 ingredient of course).

Carrot family I believe, used to neutralize bad flavors.  We had a giant green caterpillar eat most of ours last year.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 am

wag wrote:

Carrot family I believe, used to neutralize bad flavors.  We had a giant green caterpillar eat most of ours last year.

Black Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars? Beats cabbage moths I guess, at least they're pretty. Pondering setting up a little hydro veg garden on the patio, thinking that the deer might be wary of going that close. But I dunno, a hydro garden might look kinda weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:16 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
wag wrote:

Black Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars?  Beats cabbage moths I guess, at least they're pretty.  Pondering setting up a little hydro veg garden on the patio, thinking that the deer might be wary of going that close.  But I dunno, a hydro garden might look kinda weird.

My parsley was doing well in early January, so maybe it will come back, along with the next generation of big green cats. 

But here's an idea, have a garden in a mesh hanging down over an ocean cliff.  Gets nutrients from the sea mist, and of course rain.

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:03 am

Many of California's primo vineyards exposed to sea mist. Humidity helps but perhaps the sea nutrients get wafted over too.

Veg/fruit gardening much easier with Mexican/int'l style of houses w/small front yards but larger back yards, both enclosed. Deer, cops or crooks have no right to wander on property. In pre-70's US most homeowners fenced off property while in 70's & later Jew style mongers promoted the park-like/golf-course thing with no fencing between houses. People didn't know/care that fencing = common law protection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:03 pm

EyeBelieve wrote:
Many of California's primo vineyards exposed to sea mist.  Humidity helps but perhaps the sea nutrients get wafted over too.

Veg/fruit gardening much easier with Mexican/int'l style of houses w/small front yards but larger back yards, both enclosed.  Deer, cops or crooks have no right to wander on property.  In pre-70's US most homeowners fenced off property while in 70's & later Jew style mongers promoted the park-like/golf-course thing with no fencing between houses.  People didn't know/care that fencing = common law protection.

Moreover, community developments, big front and back yards, but narrow, shadowed side yards, and without regard to sun orientation, probably have by-laws preventing you from tilling up your yards for gardens.  Instead, you pay your monthly fees for the beaner landscapers to mow and mulch through the season.  Obviously a jew-conceived setup, the façade looks appealing going in despite the big 30/40 year mortgage. Twisted Evil

EyeBelieve
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:45 am

In Germany the housing is usually fairly dense but they have a huge garden plot program. Once on a car tour stopped off in suburban area next to a big community plot area & some old German guy eyed me warily. He might have thought I was a trouble-making Brit, heh.

The German garden plots are nice-sized things unlike the minute US/UK plots. Families grow veggies & fruit & even make the sheds into weekend dachas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses   

Back to top Go down

Paul Cuffee and Ruth Moses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1