Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puckatawk
Hambone

PostSubject: Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS   Sat May 23, 2015 3:12 am

Re: Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 5/21/15
Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS
http://www.rferl.org/content/obama-says-not-losing-fight-against-is/27029573.html

U.S. President Barack Obama has admitted that the fall of the Iraqi city of Ramadi to Islamic State group was a "tactical setback" but said, "I don't think we're losing" the fight against the militants.

Obama said in an interview with The Atlantic released on May 21, "There's no doubt that in the Sunni areas, we're going to have to ramp up not just training, but also commitment, and we better get Sunni tribes more activated than they currently have been."

Obama's statement came after IS fighters overran Ramadi last week and on May 20 took full control of Syria's ancient city of Palmyra, which is home to the UNESCO World Heritage site containing ancient ruins.

Meanwhile, police and pro-government tribal fighters say that IS fighters on May 21 overran Iraqi government defenses east of Ramadi.

The defensive line was in Husaiba, about 10 kilometers east of Ramadi.

Thousands of Shi'ite militia fighters have been massing in Khalidiya, 20 kilometers east of Ramadi, in preparation for a push to retake the city.

I did it my way ...

Obama has an amazing sense of optimism, part of the new age outlook wherein the setbacks are treated as they were a source of opportunity.  A few more thousand refugee Iraqis hardly make a blip on the big picture anymore.

Boston Herald 5/20/15
Former Marine on takeover 
of Ramadi: ‘We let this happen’
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/05/former_marine_on_takeover_of_ramadi_we_let_this_happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS   Sat May 23, 2015 10:01 am

The thing about the desert is you can trap people in a town, and then you have them.  So wiping them out is obviously not the jewish objective.

puckatawk
Hambone

PostSubject: Re: Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS   Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 am

Re: Taipei Times (AP) 5/26/15
US’ Carter pans Iraqi army’s ‘will to fight’
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2015/05/26/2003619218

The Islamic State (IS) group’s takeover of the Iraqi provincial capital Ramadi has prompted criticism from US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter and raised new questions about the administration of US President Barack Obama’s strategy to defeat the extremist group.

The Islamic State group, which had already seized a strategically important swath of the Middle East, seized Ramadi in central Iraq a week ago, which has revived concerns about US efforts to fight the group.

The Obama administration’s approach in Iraq is a blend of retraining and rebuilding the Iraqi army, prodding the Shiite-dominated government in Baghdad to reconcile with the nation’s Sunnis and bombing Islamic State group targets from the air without committing US ground combat troops.

Obama’s strategy is predicated on Baghdad granting political concessions to the country’s alienated Sunnis, who are a source of personnel and money for the Islamic State group, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

However, there has been little visible progress on that front. Baghdad has continued to work closely with Shiite militias backed by Iran, which have been accused of atrocities against Sunnis, a religious minority in Iraq that ruled the country until Saddam Hussein fell from power.

The US has sought to reach out on its own to Sunni tribes and is training some Sunni fighters, but those efforts have been limited by the small number of US troops on the ground.

Carter said in an interview aired on Sunday that Shiite-led Iraqi forces did not show a “will to fight” in the battle for Ramadi, a Sunni city.

Article continues ...

The Shiites know they've made out on the US invasion, while the Sunnis have been devastated and aren't really as blood thirsty as they've been set up to be.  Recognizing the area as Sunni territory, they backed off.  

Best hope now is for an all-Iraqi peace summit.  IS is not going away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS   

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama: 'I Don't Think We're Losing' Fight With IS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1