Laconics Round Table

Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Now the use of the word "chew" demands an appology?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Now the use of the word "chew" demands an appology?   Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/fashion/even-a-near-slur-demands-an-apology.html?_r=0

Even a Near Slur Demands an Apology

JULY 30, 2015

Credit Christoph Niemann  

Social Q’s
By  PHILIP GALANES  
Continue reading the main story

During a PTA meeting, a colleague said, “You can chew them down on the price.” I had never heard this expression, but another colleague explained to me that it was probably a misuse of the horrible phrase “Jew them down.” I have a feeling the speaker didn’t know this. As president of the PTA, I would like to explain to her what the phrase means. Any thoughts?

ANONYMOUS MOTHER
Get busy, Madam President. Ugly language should never be tolerated. Explain to the speaker what she (barely) missed saying: “You probably aren’t aware how close you skated to a well-known anti-Semitic slur.” No harm in giving her the benefit of the doubt. But point out that even the bowdlerized version refers clearly enough to the nasty one to be unacceptable. If it doesn’t occur to her to apologize for her statement (however innocently made), suggest she do so at the next meeting. Otherwise, you risk leaving a trail of unkindness and hurt feelings as the legacy of your administration.

Now the use of the word "chew" demands an appology?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1