Laconics Round Table

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

US University Orders Student Remove Palestinian Flag from Dorm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puckatawk
Hambone

PostSubject: US University Orders Student Remove Palestinian Flag from Dorm   Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Re: Palestine Chronicle 12/10/15
http://www.palestinechronicle.com/blog/#post-22926

George Washington University is threatening to sanction one of its students for hanging a Palestinian flag from his dormitory window.

Palestine Legal, a civil-rights group which represents US citizens of Palestinian descent, said this action “threaten[s] to chill student speech on campus” and that it could be a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Following “many complaints” to the campus police department, a campus police officer went to pre-med student Ramie Abounaja’s dorm room on 26 October and ordered him to remove the Palestinian flag he had up at his window. After Abounaja complied with the officer’s demand, the officer filed a police report.

A week later, Abounaja received a warning letter from the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities saying he had violated the university’s code of student conduct.

In a letter to the university last month, Abounaja wrote: “I felt victimised and criminalised in front of my roommates… I was told I had to remove the flag because it broke university policy – but I have checked the Housing Agreement, the University Code of Conduct, and the Residential Community Conduct Guidelines and I couldn’t find language with respect to hanging flags and banners on bedroom windows.”

Abounaja demanded GW retract the warning letter, issue a public apology and clarify its policy “in writing” on flags and banners, because other students are hanging them outside their residences with no consequences.

Didn't get the memo:
Back to top Go down
View user profile

US University Orders Student Remove Palestinian Flag from Dorm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1