Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash   Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:47 am

A Tragic Loss

The Tesla Team June 30, 2016

We learned yesterday evening that NHTSA is opening a preliminary evaluation into the performance of Autopilot during a recent fatal crash that occurred in a Model S. This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles. It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations.
Following our standard practice, Tesla informed NHTSA about the incident immediately after it occurred. What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S. Had the Model S impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, its advanced crash safety system would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents.
It is important to note that Tesla disables Autopilot by default and requires explicit acknowledgement that the system is new technology and still in a public beta phase before it can be enabled. When drivers activate Autopilot, the acknowledgment box explains, among other things, that Autopilot “is an assist feature that requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times," and that "you need to maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle” while using it. Additionally, every time that Autopilot is engaged, the car reminds the driver to “Always keep your hands on the wheel. Be prepared to take over at any time.” The system also makes frequent checks to ensure that the driver's hands remain on the wheel and provides visual and audible alerts if hands-on is not detected. It then gradually slows down the car until hands-on is detected again.
We do this to ensure that every time the feature is used, it is used as safely as possible. As more real-world miles accumulate and the software logic accounts for increasingly rare events, the probability of injury will keep decreasing. Autopilot is getting better all the time, but it is not perfect and still requires the driver to remain alert. Nonetheless, when used in conjunction with driver oversight, the data is unequivocal that Autopilot reduces driver workload and results in a statistically significant improvement in safety when compared to purely manual driving.
The customer who died in this crash had a loving family and we are beyond saddened by their loss. He was a friend to Tesla and the broader EV community, a person who spent his life focused on innovation and the promise of technology and who believed strongly in Tesla’s mission. We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Was the first man to die in a self-driving car watching Harry Potter as his Tesla crashed? Witness claims ex-Navy SEAL had a movie playing when his car plowed into a truck while on autopilot 

• Joshua Brown, 40, was behind wheel of self-driving Tesla Model S car
  • He was killed when the vehicle collided with a trailer truck in Florida in May
  • Trucker claims Brown was watching a Harry Potter movie when he crashed
  • But Tesla says it is impossible to watch movies on its touchscreen 
  • Officials are investigating whether the car's autopilot system was at fault 
  • Car company said autopilot did not notice the truck because of bright sun 
  • Ex-Navy SEAL Brown is first person to die while using self-driving vehicle

By Ollie Gillman For Dailymail.com and Associated Press
Published: 18:07 EST, 30 June 2016 | Updated: 02:11 EST, 1 July 2016

+7
Joshua Brown, 40, was in the Tesla Model S car when it collided with a tractor trailer earlier this month in
A former Navy SEAL has become the first person to die at the wheel of a self-driving car - and a witness has claimed he was watching a Harry Potter movie when his Tesla collided with a truck while on autopilot.
Joshua Brown, 40, died after his computer-guided Tesla Model S plowed into a tractor trailer on a freeway in Williston, Florida, in May.
Despite the claim, Tesla says it is not possible to play films on the vehicle's touchscreen - however it is possible Brown was using another device.
The driver of the truck, Frank Baressi, said the Tesla driver was 'playing Harry Potter on the TV screen' at the time of the crash.

'It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road,' Baressi, 62, said. B

Baressi

'He went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him,' he added.
Baressi says he only heard the movie in the aftermath of the crash - and police did not mention the driver being distracted by a film in any of their reports. 
Tesla said its autopilot system failed to detect the truck because its white color was similar to that of the bright sky, adding that the driver also made no attempt to hit the brakes. 

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating.

Preliminary reports suggest Baressi's truck left in front of Brown's Tesla at an intersection of a divided highway where there was no traffic light, officials said.

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash   Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am

About Us>

Nexu's Owner

Nexu's Owner

Owner and founder: Joshua D. Brown

I started Nexu Innovations with two things in mind: to make a difference and to have fun.  When I look at the world around me I see what it could be. I focus on what could be done to make this world a better place.  I then take these ideas and see if I can make them a reality.  This is why Nexu has such a diverse range of products and services.  I believe that innovation is unlimited and that things can and will always be improved upon.
I attended the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque for three years studying physics and computer science.  Following my junior year, I enlisted in the US Navy serving 11.5 wonderful years on active duty as a Master Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician (EOD).  While deployed numerous times overseas, in both warfighting and non-combatant roles with SOF (Special Operations Forces) units, it was my pleasure to work with the most intelligent, innovative, and independent patriots I have ever met.  My duty stations included: Information Technology A School, BUD/S, NDSTC, NAVSCOLEOD, EODMU3, KTOD ACTD, and NSWDG.  These opportunities allowed development of my operational experience as well as understanding and associations within the research and development (R&D) community.
The combination of operational and R&D experience with applied electronic and software knowledge allows Nexu to bring new, interesting, and effective innovations to an array of diverse organizations.  My imperative is Nexu's research and development will benefit its users in the best way possible and reflects in its products and services offered.  If there is a way to make them more beneficial to the end user, I will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nexu Innovations, Inc.

Company

1.7 of 5 stars

3 reviews

Dan Lloyd reviewed Nexu Innovations, Inc. — 1 star
June 11 at 6:26pm ·

Our campground opened 8 weeks ago, on 4/22/2016, today is 6/11/2016 and still have no internet connection. We require internet for business purposes and this situation is totally irresponsible, as excuses continue to be made but no results except, STILL NO INTERNET!9

LikeShow more reactions
Comment

Comments

Dom Cuzzilla reviewed Nexu Innovations, Inc. — 1 star
June 25 at 5:20am ·

I don't want this service. How do I stop it from invading my phone every 53 seconds? All Wi-Fi settings are off. Why isn't zero stars an option?

wag
Cervelle de Veau

PostSubject: Re: Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash   Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:55 am

Perhaps he had a career change in mind?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash   

Back to top Go down

Funny Smell of the Tesla Crash
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1